|International Case Law Database
50,000+ decisions · 50+ institutions
|TERMS & CONDITIONS|
Site is owned and operated by the owner of the worldcourts.com domain.
In the foregoing, the owner of the domain is referred to as
“WorldCourts” and the Site visitors are referred to as “you” or “User”
or “person” or “entity”.
2. All references to the “Site” incorporate the content of the Site or part thereof.
3. BY ACCESSING OR USING THIS SITE IN ANY WAY, YOU AGREE TO ABIDE BY ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
4. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE, YOU SHALL NOT USE THIS SITE.
CAPACITY TO ENTER INTO CONTRACT
5. Any material is provided only to persons and entities that can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Without limiting the foregoing, minors may not use the www.worldcourts.com without proper parental consent.
TERMS MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
6. WorldCourts reserves the right to change, modify, add or remove parts of the present Terms and Conditions at any time and at its own discretion.
7. Your continued use of this website after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms.
8. If you don't agree to the changes, modifications, additions or deletions, then you must stop using the Site.
9. You are responsible for obtaining and maintaining all telephone, computer hardware and other equipment needed for access to and use of the site and all charges related thereto.
CONTENT CAN CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
10. WorldCourts has the right at any time and in its sole discretion to change or discontinue the operation of the Site, and to do so without notice.
11. Notwithstanding any of these terms and conditions, WorldCourts has the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to terminate any User’s license to use this Site, and to prevent future use of the Site, and to do so without notice.
COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARKS
12. THE USER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE SITE IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT, NEIGHBOURING RIGHTS, DATABASE RIGHTS, TRADEMARKS, TRADE SECRETS, OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW, AND THAT THESE RIGHTS ARE VALID AND PROTECTED IN ALL FORMS, MEDIA AND TECHNOLOGIES EXISTING NOW OR HEREAFTER DEVELOPED.
13. The compilation of materials gathered here by WorldCourts and the pages holding them are protected by copyright, with the copyright held by WorldCourts. The Site is copyrighted as a collective work under copyright laws, and WorldCourts owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such Content.
14. Distribution of these pages on the Internet does not constitute consent to any use not authorized by these Terms and Conditions of Use.
15. WorldCourts, WorldCourts.com and its logos are trademarks of the owner of the worldcourts.com domain. Other products, brands, company names and the like are trademarks of their respective owners. In addition, all page headers, custom graphics, button icons and scripts are service marks, trademarks and/or trade dress of WorldCourts, and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of WorldCourts.
16. You may not reproduce or distribute Content protected by copyright, or other proprietary right, without obtaining permission of the owner of the copyright or her proprietary right.
17. YOU MAY NOT REPRODUCE, COPY OR REDISTRIBUTE THE DESIGN OR LAYOUT OF THIS WEB SITE, INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTS OF THE WEB SITE DESIGN, WORLDCOURTS LOGOS OR OTHER LOGOS APPEARING ON THIS WEB SITE, WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF WORLDCOURTS. Reproduction, copying or redistribution for commercial purposes of any materials or design elements on the Site is strictly prohibited without the express prior written permission of WorldCourts. Images and descriptions of products may be supplied to us by third parties, who reserve all rights in those materials.
18. Copyright is not claimed as to any work of the United States government or other materials that are in public domain, but WorldCourts does claim copyright in markup, navigation apparatus, and other value-added features of electronic editions of government publications.
19. Any materials provided on the Site without permission from the copyright owner(s) under the "fair use" doctrine may not be distributed for other purposes without permission of the copyright owner(s).
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
20. If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible on this site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify WorldCourts via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by providing the following information:
a. identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed;
b. identification of the allegedly infringing material on the Site that is requested to be removed;
c. your name, address and daytime telephone number, and an e-mail address if available, so that WorldCourts may contact you if necessary;
d. a statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the copyrighted work is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
e. a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the signatory is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive copyright right that is allegedly infringed; and
f. an electronic or physical signature of the copyright owner or someone authorized on the owner's behalf to assert infringement of copyright and to submit the statement.
21. WorldCourts will remove any posted submission which infringes the copyright of any person under the laws of the Province of Ontario upon receipt of such a statement
22. WORLDCOURTS GRANTS THE USER A NONEXCLUSIVE, LIMITED LICENSE TO CONSULT, DOWNLOAD, PRINT AND COPY THE MATERIALS CONTAINED ON THE SITE FOR THE USER'S PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE, SUBJECT TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE AND SO LONG AS THE WORLDCOURTS IS CITED AS THE SOURCE OF THE ORIGINATING MATERIAL. YOU MUST MAINTAIN ALL COPYRIGHT AND OTHER NOTICES CONTAINED IN ANY CONTENT IN THE COURSE OF ANY USE OF SUCH CONTENT.
23. The User may not exercise any of the rights granted above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.
24. The User is NOT authorized
a. to resell, distribute, or make derivative uses of the Site;
b. to copy, modify, reproduce, republish or retransmit any information on the Site;
c. to decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble from materials available on the Site;
d. to use the Site for commercial use;
e. to use the Site for public purposes;
f. to use any data mining, robots or similar data gathering and extraction methods;
g. to rent, lease, loan, sublicense, assign, or transfer the License;
h. to download from the website significant portions of the documents pertaining to the same institution.
25. Except as noted above, the User is not conveyed any right or license by implication, estoppel or otherwise in or under any patent, trademark, copyright or proprietary right of WorldCourts or any third party.
26. The restrictions on use of the Site as set forth in this Terms and Conditions shall survive any termination of the license.
REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES
27. YOU AGREE THAT USE OF THE SITE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SITE AND MATERIALS PROVIDED THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH IT, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
28. WORLDCOURTS DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, CURRENCY, QUALITY, COMPLETENESS, CORRECTNESS, TIMELINESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY OPINIONS, ADVICE, CONTENT, SERVICES, OR MERCHANDISE PROVIDED THROUGH THE SITE OR ON THE INTERNET GENERALLY.
29. WorldCourts makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the Site, express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including, without limitation, warranties of title, merchantibility, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, or the absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, completeness, or the presence or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable.
30. THIS SITE IS MAINTAINED FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. THE USER IS ADVISED TO VERIFY ANY INFORMATION THAT IS REPRODUCED ON THE SITE AGAINST ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.
31. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
32. WORLDCOURTS, ITS PARTNERS, AGENTS, EXECUTIVES, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AFFILIATES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF USE OF THE SITE OR INABILITY TO GAIN ACCESS TO OR USE THE SITE OR OUT OF ANY BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY. YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL APPLY TO ALL CONTENT ON THE SITE.
33. This disclaimer of liability applies to any damages or injury caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of record, whether for breach of contract, tortuous behavior, negligence, or under any other cause of action.
34. Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall WorldCourts, its staff, contractors or employees be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, even if the WorldCourts has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
35. The consultation or use of the Site shall automatically constitute full acceptance of the above disclaimer of liability.
36. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so some of the above may not apply to you. In such jurisdictions, liability is limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
NOT PROFESSIONAL OR LEGAL ADVICE
37. THE SITE HAS BEEN PREPARED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, IS INTENDED SOLELY AS GENERAL GUIDANCE AND IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.
38. The information contained in the Site may or may not reflect the most current legal developments.
39. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. This information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to constitute legal advice or to substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.
40. If the User is dissatisfied with the information on the Site, the User’s sole and exclusive remedy is to cease using it.
41. As a condition of use of the Site, the User agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless each of WorldCourts, its partners, agents, executives, directors, employees and affiliates from any claims and expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees and court costs, arising out of or related to the User’s access to the Site and the information herein contained.
LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY SERVICES
42. This Site contains links to websites not under WorldCourts’ control.
43. WorldCourts provides those links as a convenience for Users of the Site and is not responsible for their contents. The presence of a link does not imply endorsement or approval of its contents by WorldCourts or its partners, agents, executives, directors, employees and affiliates.
LINKING TO WORLDCOURTS
44. You are granted a limited, nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to this Site provided such link does not portray WorldCourts or any of its products and services in a false, misleading, derogatory or otherwise defamatory manner. You may not use a WorldCourts logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark of WorldCourts to link to this Site without the express written permission of WorldCourts. This limited right may be revoked at any time.
45. By accessing the Site both you and WorldCourts agree that the statutes and laws of the Province of Ontario, without regard to the conflicts of laws principles thereof, will apply to all matters relating to use of the Site. You and WorldCourts also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Superior Court of Ontario or Ontario Court of Justice with respect to such matters.
46. If any provision or provisions of these Terms of Service shall be held to be invalid, illegal, unenforceable, or in conflict with the law of any jurisdiction, the validity, legality, and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be in any way affected or impaired thereby.
47. These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement with respect to the Site. The WorldCourts shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from the User.
48. Use of this service is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of these terms of service, including without limitation this paragraph.
49. All rights not expressly granted in these Terms and Conditions are hereby reserved.
50. Any information that is collected by WorldCourts and that does not identify the User personally is non-confidential and is not subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of WorldCourts. This includes, but is not limited to, internet protocol (IP), navigation through the site, software used, and time spent.
51. WorldCourts reserves the right to use, process and disclose such data without restriction at any time and its sole discretion.
52. WorldCourts assume no responsibility for the security of this data.
53. WorldCourts may preserve, disclose or use data if required to do so by the law applicable in any jurisdiction or in the good faith belief that doing so is necessary to (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these Terms and Conditions; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights and property of WorldCourts.
54. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions may be interpreted to reduce, limit, or restrict the exclusive rights of the owner(s) of the information, documents and materials contained on the Site under copyright law, neighbouring rights law, database law or other applicable laws.
COMPLIANCE WITH LAW
55. As a condition of your use of this Service, you warrant to WorldCourts that you will not use this Site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms of Service.